Every week, coming up with an idea for my dearest husband to take to work and eat for lunch is a chore. He doesn’t ever have any ideas on what he wants, poor thing. He will spend hours thinking of something yummy, yet not your typical can of Chef Boyardee. Not that anything is wrong with some good ol’ Beefaroni, but it’s not the healthiest and not something you always want to eat everyday. Since I have stopped cooking while pregnant during the week- I can just now watch the Food Network again without wanting to run for the trash can, I’m glad he can take something home cooked to work with him at least. An hour during the weekend is much easier on my gagginess than standing in the kitchen everyday for a few hours. I have came around to cooking on the weekends now so often times we will try and cook his lunch while cooking dinner, two birds, one stone.
While it is always a chore coming up with lunch ideas for him, he always has 2 go to’s that he loves- burgers and burritos. If we can’t think of something, we go that route and sometimes he simply just wants the burgers. The thing about burgers and burritos though is that they aren’t always the healthiest. Yummy, dripping with grease, ground beef is always good, is it not? But terrible for your body. Dearest Husband has been trying to eat better after we lived off of take out and easy cook foods my first trimester and most of my second trimester. So I went to my usual drawing board, now that I can think of food again and found a way that he could still enjoy his burritos without the grease, chicken burritos! At first he wondered how good chicken burritos could really be…and my friends, even my picky little baby currently residing in me, loved them. So take my word for it when I say, they are yummy! They remind me a lot of the grilled stuffed burrtios from Taco Bell without all the guac and tomatoes.
They also double win for me too because they are SUPER EASY. The more time I can spend resting my tired eyes and extra plump body, the better it is for me these days!
Look at this list of ingredients guys, it makes 8-10 giant burrtios. I say 8-10 because I could have made 10 but I ran out of tortillas after 8 and had lots of leftover shredded chicken, so if be prepared with however many tortillas you want.
What you need:
- 8-10 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1 12oz can of Refried Beans, I just used Kroger Brand.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar or your favorite shredded cheese.
- 1 pack of taco seasoning.
- 2 Tablespoons of Taco Bell’s Fire Sauce (you can buy this in the bottle at most grocery stores. I have seen it at Kroger and Walmart).
- 1 bag of ready to cook rice, your favorite flavor. I used Knorr’s Mexican Rice.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (for rice, optional).
Super Easy Prep! :
- Boil your chicken breasts for about 15-20 minutes or until middle is no longer pink.
- Cook your rice according to directions on the package.
- Drain your chicken, pop them into a bowl, and take a hand mixer to them for about 20 seconds, just to get a good shred going.
- Sprinkle on your packet of taco seasoning and your fire Sauce.
- Continue to shred with your hand mixer until everything looks shredded evenly, about 30 seconds or so.
- Set up an assembly line, place your tortillas out on the table, your cooked rice in a bowl, your refried beans in a bowl (I recommend microwaving them a bit in order to smear easier), your cheese, and your chicken in it’s bowl.
- Take your burrito and place it out on the surface in front of you.
- Smear on some refried beans, I would guess about 1/4 cup- give or take depending on how much you like. We just need to be able to wrap the burrito up in the end 🙂
- Sprinkle on a big spoon full of rice, probably about 3-4 tablespoons.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top of your rice, don’t go crazy but just eye ball this amount to your satisfaction. I did about a tablespoon or so.
- Then a big spoon full of chicken! About 1/4 cup here, again, eye ball it to your liking, just be mindful of your room to fold.
- Fold your burrito. I tend to tuck in the sides, flip one side over, and then roll tightly. I understand my instructions are awful on how to fold a burrito but google can assist you in a good way 🙂
- Roll in aluminum foil and put it into a freezer bag.
- Repeat until you are finished!
When you are ready to eat one, pop it into the microwave for about 1 minute on each side (depending on your microwave). They are so easy to heat up and just as yummy. These burrito’s are really customizable to your liking, just be sure to use freezer friendly ingredients.