Lately, I have been on a salad kick. I had went forever without eating a salad and then I found a yummy mixture for one containing French’s Fried Onions and knew I just had to give it a go, especially because we have been wanting to incorporate more veggies into our diet. The salad was quite the hit. It was so good I found myself eating a mini version everyday for dinner (we eat big dinners for lunch, and then lunch sized things for dinner since my husband is on 2nd shift). I mean everyday. But last week I had one and found that it had lost its oomph. Which is eventual with any food you eat over and over again but I still had a giant thing of French Fried Onions that I find can go stale quicker than most pantry items. So in an effort not to waste, I went to the drawing board and ended up creating the most wonderful piece of chicken I have cooked to date. Not even kidding. I didn’t even need sauce. You heard me, no need for sauce. It was THAT flavorful. My picture for this post totally suffered because I dug in immediately and then thought of the blog and how I just HAD to share it. So I took it after I had a bite but, ohhhhh well.
So I am here today to share this totally awesome recipe with you. It’s simple and it is bursting with flavor! It has a similar texture of fried chicken BUT it’s baked so it isn’t going to attack you with guilt. Not that you should ever feel guilty, because food is awesome, but, you know what I mean.
What you need:
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
- 3-4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (or whatever you prefer), pounded just enough to get it tender and not so chicken breasty.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup of French’s French Fried Onions
- 1 whisked egg
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for brushing.
Whipping it together:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Set out 3 shallow baking dishes and get ready to make an assembly line of goodness. Then place a greased baking sheet at the end ready to catch your chicken.
- In your first dish, mix up your flour and 1/4 of the packet of ranch.
- In your second, your egg.
- In your third, mix up your breadcrumbs, french fried onions, and the rest of the ranch packet. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Start assembling by dipping your chicken into your flour, then into your egg, and then into your breadcrumb mixture. Being sure to press down to make the breadcrumbs stick. Make sure everything is evenly coated.
- When you have all of your chicken breasts on the pan, brush or drizzle some extra virgin olive oil all over the tops to insure a little extra crisp.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until done in the middle.
Enjoy! Guys, I promise you. You will want to indulge in this and make some for your hubby….or just yourself 😉 I won’t tell.