Last night as I was watching one of my favorite shows, Chopped, I of course began to crave the food on the show. My mouth began watering for some crispy fried chicken. Me and my husband made a decision a few months ago as some of you readers may know, to eat healthier. So fried chicken isn’t really in my meal rotation. What I had planned to cook today was some sauteed chicken in some creamed spinach, a one bowl meal. After my craving though, I knew I had to go a crispy route.
This recipe is extremely easy and can be adjusted to your own pantry and tastes. Normally, I’m not crazy about spicy food but for some reason lately, I’ve been liking a nice kick to my food. So as I was falling asleep last night I began to think of a fun new way to make some oven “fried” chicken. Breadcrumbs have been my saving grace since beginning to eat better. It adds a nice crisp to anything you want without having to deep fry it, so I already knew I would be using them. But flavor, what kind of delicious yumminess can I coat my chicken in? And then it all fell together in my head. My husband jumped for joy when he took a bite, he LOVES anything spicy and I rarely cook spicy things. That made this dish even better.
I served this chicken with some skinny creamed spinach but this would pair really well with some broccoli or even a salad. It has a nice kick to it so a sweet barbecue sauce on the side would be yummy if sauces are your thing! 🙂 I love some chicken and BBQ sauce.
I hope you guys enjoy it! MORE snow is coming in where I am, currently they are calling for 10 more inches! Is anyone else dreaming of summer weather? I’m ready for some family cook outs and delicious summer food. I’m getting antsy for a nice juicy burger from the grill and some fresh slaw (shout out to my mother-in-law, her slaw is sooooo good!)
What you need:
- 1 Teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- Boneless Chicken Tenders
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Throwing it all together:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a shallow baking dish, mix your buttermilk, hot sauce, and honey all together. Then allow your chicken tenders to soak in this for 5-10 minutes.
- In a second dish, combine your panko bread crumbs, paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Taking 1 chicken tender at a time, press it into your bread crumb mixture. Flip the tender over and press again. Press it just enough to make sure all the crumbs stick to the tender.
- Place your tender on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tenders.
- Spray your tenders with cooking spray or drizzle with butter or olive oil. This seals in the crumbs.
- Cook on 400 for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and no longer pink in the center.
- ENJOY 🙂