I’m a little too anxious for Fall to get here. The background on my phone is a bunch of orange and red leaves, I’m dying to get to Starbucks to get the early released Pumpkin Spice latte, and I’ve been dreaming about the fall weather. Today I even ditched my cute pink and white purse for my Deep Brown Michael Kors Purse, which is fall appropriate and I’ve already been painting my nails darker colors and my Pinterest is covered in fall decore ideas (I have a board dedicated just to Fall). Basically, I am DYING for fall to get here. It is certainly my favorite time of year and I am constantly in a good mood when the crisp Fall air arrives. So Beef Stew sounded like the perfect thing to make for dinner. It screams fall. So off to the kitchen I went. Once I posted the photograph below to my Facebook of my scrumptious dinner, the comments flooded in, some asking for the recipe, some telling me just how yummy it looks. So sharing of the recipe was in immediate order.
It does taste as good as it looks. What I love besides the incredible taste (my mom told me today it was better than her beef stew!) is how quick the prep time is. I spend so much time in the kitchen since I love cooking so much, but some days I feel like I’m missing out on family time. So slow cooker recipes are great to have on hand for those days where you just feel like relaxing and you have SO much leftover you can eat on it for two days, so for the busy wife, this is a wonderful go to recipe.
The ingredient’s are common and you probably have most of it in your pantry already.
- Stewing Beef (1.5-2 pounds). You can find it at any grocery store all cut up and ready to go for you.
- A bag of Frozen Peas
- 1/2 of a large onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 cups of baby carrots
- 3 cups of Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- 28oz of tomato juice
- 10 large potatoes
- 1.5 teaspoons of Italian seasoning (you can buy this in your spice isle in a shaker or a packet)
- 3 Bay Leaves (I found it in the Mexican Food Isle at Kroger, your grocery store may have it with the vegetables or spice isle)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Pour your tomato juice into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cut your Potatoes into 4 pieces, slice your carrots and celery, and cut your onions into large pieces. Put all of it into your crock pot and cover the veggies with the Italian seasoning and the salt and pepper.
- Coat your pan with oil and brown your stewing beef until it is almost done, with a slotted spoon scoop the beef into your pot.
- Pour 2.5 Cups of the Beef Broth over your veggies and beef and give everything a good stir.
- Place the Bay Leaves on top of your stew being sure you can pull them out when the stew is done.
- Cover and Cook on low for 7-8 hours (cooking times may vary with each and every pot).
- About 30 minutes before your stew is done remove the Bay leaves and stir in your peas.
- Whisk your flour and 1/2 cup of beef broth together to make a paste in a separate bowl. Then stir it into the stew and let it cook the remaining 30 minutes.
Now you have a delicious stew that will please your entire family. I served it with some Jiffy Corn Muffins to top it off!
Be sure and subscribe to The Wife’s Life so you can keep up with other amazing recipes like this. You don’t want to miss out.
Happy Eating 🙂